Beware of These Toxic Christmas Plants – Next level pet care LLC

Beware of These Toxic Christmas Plants

Did you know that many of the plants that are popular around this time of the year can be extremely harmful to your pets?  Here is a rundown of some dangerous seasonal plants:

  • Amaryllis – Every single part of this plant is poisonous. If your pet eats the flower or the stem they will more than likely vomit. However, consuming the bulb is the most harmful.  It causes hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and neurological issues.
  • American Holly – American Holly contains potentially toxic compounds that can cause gastrointestinal irritation.  Make sure to keep your holly on a bush outside and if you are using is for decoration inside keep it far from your cat or dogs reach.
  • Kalanchoe – If this flowering plant is eaten, it can lead to gastrointestinal issues.  Make sure it is placed in a room or in a location where your pet cannot reach it.
  • Mistletoe – If your pet eats a few leaves or berries of Mistletoe, it may cause a tummy upset.  Unfortunately, most store-bought mistletoe has plastic berries or other plastic parts which can cause gastrointestinal problems so severe that your pet may require induced vomiting or even surgery if the pieces stay in your pet’s digestive tract.
  • Poinsettia – Although the flowers and leaves can cause upset tummy if eaten, it is a myth that this Christmastime plant is deadly… so you do not have to banish it from your home.  Just keep it out of paw’s reach!

If you think your pet has consumed any of the above plants then you should contact your vet or the nearest emergency vet immediately.

Next Level Pet Care cares a lot about your furry loves all year round; it’s in our name! Happy and Safe Holidays!

 

Share

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *