For many pet owners, taking your dog for a walk is part of your daily routine. However, finding the perfect leash to fit your dog’s weight, height, and walking pace can be a challenge. Because of this, many pet owners turn to flexi leashes (retractable leashes). Since retractable leashes can offer a little more ease for the operator and freedom for the pet, they may seem like the ideal choice, but flexi leashes can be quite dangerous to both pets and pet owners!
Dangers of Retractable Leashes for Pets
Knowing the hazards that accompany retractable leashes or flexi leashes will help save you and your pet from some very painful and even life-threatening situations.
While on a flexi leash, your pet could face serious threats such as:
- An entanglement that could cause nose, leg, or paw injuries
- Getting lost if the hook or leash break, or if you drop the handle
- Whiplash from the jerk of a sudden stop when the leash reaches its end too quickly
- Significant injuries or even death due to extended leash lengths that allow your pet to dart out in front of cars or bicyclists
- Serious auto or pedestrian accidents, tangles with other pets or people, or run off altogether caused by the easily dropped handle design (as opposed to standard leashes that you can loop around your hand)
Dangers of Retractable Leashes for Pet Owners
Flexi leash style leashes aren’t just dangerous for your pet. These retractable leashes can also cause serious injury to you, too.
Injuries to you can include:
- Leash burns from getting caught up in the leash as your pet darts unexpectedly in a different direction
- Broken teeth, due to the collar or metal clasp breaking and swinging back into your face
- Cuts and lacerations on your hands, arms, or legs from the leash digging into your skin due to an entanglement and rope burns
- Eye injuries, if the leash or hook breaks and bounces back
- Serious accidents with other pedestrians or bicyclists if your pet’s leash doesn’t retract and he or she gets tangled up around someone else
The Best Leash for Your Furry Friend
Flexi leashes may seem convenient for walking your pet, but the risks involved with their use are considerable. If you’re unsure which type of leash is best for your pet, ask Next Level Pet Care at your next appointment or give us a call.
Once you’ve found the right leash for your dog, you’ll be amazed by the difference and wonder why you ever considered using a retractable leash in the first place.
Thanks and smiles from Next Level Pet Care!
Next Level Pet Care 508.556.0656
“Enriching Pets Lives, One Household at a Time”